Skip to main content

Responding to Gender-Based Violence: Changing Narratives


A session on Gender-based violence is never easy, mainly when you do it with leaders who are survivors of violence themselves and who support other survivors of violence.

Our session in the current workshop was tough and yet, it brought out the engagement and wisdom of the participants. Narratives of violence is a topic special to me. In my ‘Narrative Practices Diploma’, the session profoundly impacted me. I am a survivor of emotional violence and have seen it at close quarters. My Somatic Experiencing Training has provided me with ways to work with my psychological safety while engaging with this topic. Combining the narrative work with body work ensures a feeling of safety while allowing deep exploration of violence. 

We created this workshop to explore how violence is inherent in patriarchal norms around Gender. In the workshop, we explored these beliefs as well as explored personal experiences of violence. 



Throughout the session, I worked with the participants’ feelings of safety during the conversation. There were feelings of fear, hurt, and helplessness, along with the exploration of stories of dignity. The foundation principle is that we always respond and use all our skills, abilities, and understanding of the context to its fullest extent. This always conveys who we are and thus restores our self-esteem. The participants found this exercise useful as they reclaimed their strengths and pride. 

We then delved into an exploration of patriarchy, particularly in the context of gender. We also explored how, focusing on the stories of dignity, we can support men and women to deal with gender-based violence. 

The participants shared deeply personal experiences and explored their own responsiveness. We included body exercises to create a container of safety for sharing. They also shared their own challenges on the field while working with survivors of gender-based violence. Some things need to be done immediately, such as providing immediate physical relief, safety, and taking care of legal requirements. When this takes precedence, working with the mental health of both the survivor and the perpetrator takes a back seat. The participants also acknowledged how this exploration helped them look at the situation holistically. 

We are aware that this is a long term process. Lessening domestic violence and restoring dignity is a work to be done one person at a time, a moment at a time. I look forward to doing more to transform the narratives that come in the way of this change.


by Dr. Sanjyot Pethe, Wellness Associate at Parity Lab


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet the Global Fellows 2025:

We are thrilled to announce that our next Global Fellowship cohort is here —a powerful group of 12 leaders committed to our mission of ending the cycle of violence through a trauma-informed approach. This new cohort brings incredible diversity, spanning North America, Africa, Europe, the Caribbean, and India. Meet the brilliant minds who will be driving change and healing in their communities and beyond! 

Holding Many Realities at Once.

“The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” — Marcel Proust Some conversations do not end just because the meeting ended. They remain with you, sitting quietly in your thoughts long after the zoom room has emptied. Over the past month, as we began our workshops with the Grameen Jyothi fellows, I have often found myself returning to the stories shared in the spaces, and I am noticing a shift in how I look at the world ( and myself, sometimes). These are stories of people working at the frontline, of women mentoring other women, of girls facing gender-based violence at home, in workplaces, and within systems that were never made to protect them. Honestly, each workshop feels less like a professional engagement and more like entering lived worlds that exist parallel to mine. I sit there less as a facilitator and more as a listener. Sometimes I am a mere observer from what feels like a vanta...

Responsibility

What does responsibility mean? Most of us want to be seen as responsible, and we like others to be responsible towards us but I notice that we rarely discuss or even define what this idea of responsibility might be all about.What does it mean in a given context, or is it beyond context? What is my responsibility, and what is not my responsibility? Who decided that it is my responsibility? I have realised that this absence - of understanding, of definitions - leads to a lot of ill effects: abuse, ill health, anxiety, depression and more. I believe that instead of saying “I am responsible”, it might be better to say “I am responsible for”. It makes a lot of difference when we become specific. Further, even when I say “I am responsible for” something, I have learned to ask myself if that is really true, and what might it mean if it were true. For example, it was believed for generations that cooking for the family is a woman’s responsibility. It is only now that we have started to questio...